Ok, so here’s how things stand based on last night’s premier of the new X-Files, which I don’t have a lot of time to get into, (there’s a second episode tonight, I’ll deal with it more there when it ends not at midnight.)
Mulder is completely nutso, now, like he’s gone off the reservation. Scully left him because of his disconnect with reality, but she still misses him. She’s still at the hospital. Now she helps kids who were born without outer ears to get them put on. Joel McHale’s character Tad O’Malley, is a crazy right wing conspiracy nut, who wants Mulder and Scully to help him expose the “the truth.” Mulder seems very up for it. Scully is really over it, until they meet a young woman who claims to have been a multiple abductee.
“The Truth” this time around
No aliens. There were aliens, but they haven’t been to earth in a long time. They all died at Roswell and the other crash sights. The government, or possibly the military industrial complex (X-Files, so MEGA VAGUE) has been using the technology to test humans and distract them from a large scale fascist take over that’s been in effect since 2012.
Skinner reinstitutes the X-Files in order to combat this. I think? Or just because we needed Skinner.
OK, so here’s what I like (so far):
- Mulder and Scully’s status quo. It makes sense both emotionally and from a story perspective for their relationship to have gone south as he sunk deeper and deeper into paranoia and depression and refused to get help. I don’t see her being OK with that.
- The Opening Credits! They used the originals and now Mitch Pileggi is in them. It’s nice. I love Skinner.
- Cigarette Smoking Man is back. I hope Mulder spends some time with Krychek’s ghost too. I’d like that.
- Joel McHale. Who I like in everything. He’s just the right mixture of smug and creepy here, but as far as we know he’s on the side of the angels.
- Scully has alien DNA! WHAT????
- Mulder has a new shadowy informant guy. He was a doctor who was at Roswell. He wants to make things right.
Here’s what I don’t like:
- This new “truth.” What’s the deal with the ancient ships then? What about William? This creates so many more questions. I don’t like it. It’s stupid. STUPID!
- Weird sexual energy between Scully and Tad O’Malley. Nope. I am not on board.
- I get that the world has changed so a guy like O’Malley would be the new face of the conspiracy movement. But he’s meant to be the new Lone Gunmen I think. And I don’t like that. The Gunmen were adorable. He’s a skeeze. I dislike this direction.
- It was not funny enough. I know Mulder is in full on crazy mode so he wasn’t in a joking mood but still. I need some quips you guys!
- The only mention of 2012 was that’s how long “the plan.” Has been in place. LAME!
And…that’s about it. See you guys for more X-Files tomorrow!