So those pacing problems I had back in the prequels? (That seems so long ago doesn’t it?) Those absolutely start in Return Of The Jedi. Or at least in the special edition, which is what I was watching.
I know, I know, I’m a terrible heathen, but my original edition VHS’s have long since been scrapped, and hey, did you know that the stories and dialog are exactly the same in the Special Editions? There’s just some annoying extra CGI scenes, which I guess could ruin it for some people…but really, no. I don’t care that Anakin is replaced with Hayden Christensen at the end and while “Jedi Rock” is pretty damn pointless and breaks up the flow of that scene it’s not like a crime against humanity or anything.
OK, so that’s out of the way now.
But that doesn’t change the fact that Jedi lacks the zippy speed of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and here, I don’t see it as quite as much of a problem. I mean, the scenes in Jabba’s palace are interesting. I enjoy the large Ewok dance parties (Yup, both of them, but I’ve made my opinion on dance parties clear.
I feel like this post is kind of going off the rails.
Which actually makes a lot of sense for Jedi. I feel like I should talk about Luke redeeming Anakin, as I once wrote a whole paper about it, (I got an A-, it’s one of my proudest academic moments, I’d quote the paper right now, but I didn’t feel like looking for it…) Because, if nothing else Jedi is a little bit off the rails.
But here are some things that are great:
- Han being jealous for like a second of Luke and Leia, and then she explains that they’re brother and sister and he’s so releived. (PS if Rey isn’t their daughter I am going to be very sad. Unless she’s something equally as badass…)
- Ewoks. I DON’T CARE. They are adorable and they defeat the Empire and then have a dance party. They are my kind of alien life form.
- That final Light Saber battle between Luke and Vader. It’s a cool ass fight.
- The Emperor might as well not be there. He does nothing. I mean, “Good, good, embrace your anger,” I mean, whatever, he could just not be in the scene and it would still be the best.
- If we count the prequels as counting, Obi-Wan learned that whole, “From a certain point of view” bull from Anakin…who used it to excuse embracing the dark side.
- Leia has the Force right? That is made abundantly clear. Don’t screw this up JJ, she better levitate something. And if we really want to go big, maybe have a light saber. SHE SHOULD BE A JEDI.
- Do you want to know a big difference between Jedi and Empire is? (And no, it has nothing to do with independent contractors, Randal, but thanks for asking) It’s a whole lot less sexy. I mean, we get plenty of resolution. But a lot less Harrison Ford/Billy Dee Williams smolder. Not a fan.
OK, I have exhausted my thoughts on Return of The Jedi. And Star Wars in general, I guess.
BUT, hey, in just over 24 hours, I’m going to be experiencing a whole new chapter in this saga, that once carried me through childhood and adolescence, and is about to enter my adulthood.
Fandom doesn’t get more fundamental to me than Star Wars, and I’m excited to get started again.