I finally got through The X-Files Season 3. It was touch and go there for a while. Mostly because I was doing my best to catch up on a bunch of other stuff too. But I’ve officially committed to watching episodes on my lunch break.
Here’s what’s in my head this season:
- Still crushing hard on Mulder. Like really hard.
- Scully is a lapsed Catholic but she still holds belief. This is really cool. It also makes for a nice contrast with Mulder who believes so many extraordinary things, but has a little trouble with the God-Miracle spectrum. This made for a nice change for a couple of episodes.
- It has been a tough couple of years for these guys. Scully’s father dies of natural causes, then she’s abducted, then her sister is killed to discourage them from finding the truth. Mulder has that whole, “alien posing as Samantha thing,” finds out his father was a part of the big conspiracy, then his father is killed, then his mother has a stroke and probably screwed The Smoking Man? Did I pick up on that correctly?
- Also I love The Smoking Man. He’s great.
- And Skinner, who I haven’t talked about much. But it’s nice to have a grey area character who’s mostly on the side of our guys. He’s not as committed as Mulder and Scully, but it’s still, you know nice.
- Everyone and their mom was on this show! Just this season and without thinking we saw Jack Black, Ryan Reynolds and Lucy Liu.
- Not as much Lone Gunmen as I was expecting, given how obsessed with them the fandom is and everything. I do get excited when they pop up.
- In shipping news, I love that Scully gets jealous but in a really petulant way whenever Mulder is into another woman. She’s usually so together so it’s a nice change to have be kind of a mess about something.
- A SEA MONSTER ATE SCULLY’S DOG! I am not OK with this except that it’s so incredibly brilliant.
- “Jose Chung’s ‘From Outer Space'” is probably my favorite episode so far, purely because it’s one of the most interestingly written and beautifully executed episodes of television I’ve ever seen.
- Cliffhanger! That heeling guy, Jeremiah Smith, is about to be killed, except Mulder wants him to heal his mother. Also he knows about “The Truth.”
So that’s what’s going on regarding The X-Files season 3. I’m hoping to press through a good chunk of Season 4 this weekend. I need to speed up my watching if I’m going to get caught up in time for the new stuff, which comes in January and I know that. I’d like to get through Season 5 by Thanksgiving so I can watch the the movie then, but we’ll see how it goes.