Charging towards the end, we get two really solid episodes and one of my all time favorites. It’s a strong week for the Kim/Ron romance, which is so strongly rendered, but there’s also another tension that reveals I’ve probably been spending too much time on Tumblr…
Season 4: Episode 11 “Odds Man In”
Ron’s Dad has won actuary of the year and Ron learns all about calculating risk. This is good, except that it causes him to become overly protective of Kim, which is not so fun for Kim. She tries to convince him that she will be and is fine, but he wants to keep her safe.
The instinct is great. The execution less so. Things only get worse when he looks at his own odds of dying and winds up locking himself in a panic room, while Wade heads out on mission.
Meanwhile, Drakken is corporatizing with a cupcake bakery. That’s right, this episode aired back when cupcake bakeries were still extremely cutting edge. This subplot is all about him trying to bring on a new ice age, but for me is mostly about Shego’s job titles, which are golden.
Season 4 Episode 12 “Stop Team Go”
Shego, Hego, Mego and Wego are all summoned under false pretenses to be confronted by their electronic villain Electronique, who has just gotten out of prison. She’s using the Attitudinator to turn them evil and it does turn the guys evil, but Shego, having gone evil all on her own, goes good!
Hiding out from her vengeful brothers, Shego gets a job as a teacher at Kim’s school and then they team up to get them switched back. Also she dates Barkin.
I love this episode so much. It’s perfect in every possible capacity and best in it’s final moments, when even after being switched back, you see that Shego actually does have a real affection and respect for Kim.
Boo-Yas And Nacos
- My favorite thing about Kim and Ron’s relationship in this season is how gentle the shift is from their friendship. They’re still the same people, and the slight alterations at their interaction are more about self awareness than anything else.
- Wade is a really bad side kick. But at least he knows it.
- Kim/Shego, I ship it. Their hang outs in “Stop Team Go,” are delightful and Ron’s jealousy is palpable.
- While Shego is off being a good guy, Dr. Drakken is stuck, he is unable to open a jar of pickles, and thus requires her help.
- Electronique is basically Livewire. Which is great. Because Livewire is the best!