Hey all! It’s a lazy blog day! Things I’m obsessed with right now (Some one them are Christmas-y others, not so much):
- Michael Buble’s Christmas. This is a perfect Christmas album. His interpretations of “Santa Baby” and “All I Want For Christmas Is You” are brilliant reinterpretations of traditionally feminine songs. Particularly when he asks, “Santa, buddy, fill my stocking with Canucks tix, for kicks, throw me on the first line.” Adorbs. Also the original, “Cold December Night,” is probably my favorite artist specific Christmas song, except…
- Jimmy Buffett’s “A Sailor’s Christmas” which actually might be my favorite Christmas song ever. It’s a beautiful little ditty where Jimmy puts his special talents to work on Christmas, a sweet ballad about Christmas in The Caribbean.
- Chris Rock’s New York Magazine interview. I’ve mentioned growing up in a comedy house before and 90’s SNL was a big part of that. I’ve always loved Chris Rock, but GOD this is so good. Read it.
- All the Into The Woods trailers. Just all of ’em. I can’t wait to see this movie. (Still not sure WHEN I’ll get to it. My Christmas week is pretty packed, but I need to find space for Into The Woods and Annie…)
- My family’s inter cousin secret Santa, which for my mom’s side I’m running this year. This is less now that the drawing side of it is over and it seems like everyone got their names without incident, but for a good week, I was EXTREMELY preoccupied by it.
- The Legend of Korra season 4. OMG, it’s so good. I even liked the much maligned clip show. Because I mean, it was lame, but they did a good job commenting on fandom with it. (Mako’s section dealt with shipping, Korra’s with ALL THE FEELS, and Varrick and Bolin’s with headcanon.) And we’ve seen awesome moments from both Katara and Toph, so I’m hoping we get something from Zuko and Spirit Aang at some point in the final two episodes.
- Speaking of my new favorite fandom, The MarySue’s Avatar: The Last Airbender Newbie Recaps, having just felt all of these things just a few months ago, along with the “HOW DID I NOT ALWAYS KNOW ABOUT THIS?” aspect of them, they’re a fun read.
- The brand new Wolf-Pop podcast network. Paul Scheer’s little pet project is pretty amazing. So far, I have 3 of their podcasts in my regular rotation (the only station that has more is Nerdist, because it’s Nerdist), Denzel Washington Is The Greatest Actor of All Time, Period With W. Kamau Bell and Kevin Avery, which analyzes each of Denzel’s performances and is just brilliantly funny, Maltin On Movies with Leonard Maltin (duh) and Baron Von, where they pick a new release and a theme related to it each week, and choose three movies in that theme to discuss, one that they love, one that they hate and one that was a “sleeper” that most people wouldn’t think of. And then finally Crybabies, in which Susan Orlean & Sarah Thyre talk about pop culture things that make them cry. I relate very strongly to this. (And fits into my ongoing, listen to more podcasts hosted my awesome ladies project, double win!)
- Any “Geek Girl Gift Guides” and not just because of the alliteration because I just love almost all of the merchandise shown in them.
So that’s what I’m loving these days!